One of the most common questions new school librarians have is, “What are the basic library supplies I need?”
While it’s true that each school library will have specific supply needs, there are some basic supplies that belong in most school libraries.
Book Processing Supplies
- Book covers of various sizes
- Spine labels
- Fillment tape
- Plastic bone folder
- Spine label covers of various sizes & colors
- Due date slips
- Stamp with school or library’s name
- “Discard” stamp
- Book pockets
- Magazine protectors
- Book supports
- Shelf markers or shelf labels
Prizes & Incentives
- Fun bookmarks
- Stickers (depending on the age of students)
- Computer cleaning supplies
- Paper cutter
Supplies for Student Use
- Stapler & staples
- Pencils & pens
- Scotch tape
- Colored pencils or crayons
- Liquid paper / White-Out
Where can I purchase library supplies?
I usually purchase from one of the four suppliers below, and I can highly recommend each one.
It’s a good idea to keep track of product information like item numbers, cost, sizes, and pricing. It will lesson the hassle when it comes time to re-order supplies. I have a free Master Supply List sheet on my Printables page that might come in handy.
What do you think about this list? Did I leave anything out? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
Did you find this list helpful? Sign up to receive an email each time I publish a new post. I promise I won’t sell, rent, or give out your information in any way, and you can unsubscribe anytime. If you’re a new librarian, please check out my eBook for new school librarians.
I love going to conferences! Luckily for school librarians, there are plenty to choose from. I hope you get a chance to attend at least one of the following conferences this year.
Let me know if I left any conferences off the list and I’ll be happy to add them.
- Aug. 25-30. International Association of School Librarianship (IASL) Annual Conference. Moscow, Russia.
- Sep. 17-20. Kentucky School Media Association (KSMA) joint conference with Kentucky Library Association. Louisville, KY.
- Sep 20. Massachusetts Computer Using Educators (MassCUE) with Massachusetts School Library Association (MSLA) Better Together Conference. Newtown, MA.
- Oct. 2-4. Washington Library Media Association (WLMA) Annual Conference. Yakima, WA.
- Oct 2-4. Minnesota Education Media Organization (MEMO). Annual Conference. St. Cloud, MN.
- Oct. 8-10. Nebraska School Librarians Association (NSLA) / Nebraska Library Association (NLA) Annual Conference. South Sioux City, NE.
- Oct 8-10. Florida Association for Media in Education (FAME) Annual Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Oct. 9-11. North Carolina School Library Media Association Annual Conference. Winston-Salem, NC.
- Oct. 17. Maryland Association of School Librarians (MASLMD) Annual Conference. Linthicum Heights, MD.
- Oct. 17-18. American Association of School Libraries (AASL) Fall Forum. St. Louis, MO.
- Oct 22-24. Michigan Association for Media Education (MAME) Annual Conference. Ann Arbor, MI.
- Oct. 23-25. Tennessee Association of School Librarians (TASL) Annual Conference. Murfreesboro, TN.
- Oct. 23-25. Ohio Educational Library Media Association (OELMA) Annual Conference. Columbus, OH.
- Oct. 26-27. New Jersey Association of School Librarians (NJASL) Fall Conference. Long Branch, NJ.
- Oct. 27-28. Internet@Schools West. Monterey, CA.
- Oct. 29-31. Kansas Association of School Librarians (KASL) Annual Conference. Wichita, KS.
- Nov 4-8. Association for Educational Communications & Technology (AECT) International Convention. Jacksonville, FL.
- Nov 5-8. School Library Systems Association (SLSA) of New York State Annual Conference. Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Nov 6-8. Illinois School Library Media Association (ISLMA) Annual Conference. Tinley Park, IL.
- Nov. 6-8. Virginia Association of School Librarians (VAASL) Annual Conference. Roanoke, VA.
- Nov. 17-19. Indiana Library Federation Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN.
- Feb. 5-8. California School Library Association (CSLA) Annual Conference. San Francisco, CA.
- Apr. 14-17. Texas Association of School Librarians Joint Conference (TASL) with Texas Library Association (TxLA). Austin, TX.
- Apr. 19-21. Missouri Association of School Librarians (MASL) Spring Conference. Osage Beach, MO.
- Apr. 30- May 2. Pennsylvania School Librarians Association (PSLA) Annual Conference. Hershey, PA.
- Jun. 25-30. American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference. San Francisco, CA.
- Jun. 28- Jul. 1. International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
Which conference is your favorite? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.